Saturday, September 24, 2016

The Naturalness of Growth

I've always enjoyed the growth of my children. Way back to when I was a youth pastor and we had just welcomed our first son into the world a teen from the youth group came up to me and said "Just wait until the terrible twos!" I informed the teen that "2 year olds do 2 year old things and teenagers do teenager things, the key is to respond to bad behavior appropriately in any age and enjoy the child at the age they are." He never mentioned the terrible twos again.

I've often heard people say "I just wish they could stay this tiny forever." It has always struck me as a weird thing to say, but now the unnaturalness of the request has become more obvious. At 5 months old, Timmy is still smaller than some of our children were at birth. He is right around the same size as he was 2 months ago. He is beautiful, but this is unnatural.

We are told that once heart surgery is complete, Timmy will take off in growth and gain ground quickly. We are very glad for medical professionals who have walked his road before and are familiar with the abilities of science and technology as it pertains to heart surgery. We are also glad for a God who has knit Timmy together and, even though this seems very unnatural, has not made a mistake with our son.

It just impresses me regularly that growth of living things is natural, even expected. And when it doesn't happen, it should feel odd.


1 comment:

  1. He is so very tiny - I just want to cuddle him. Can't wait to see him "take off"

    ReplyDelete